Saturday, April 30, 2005
Friday, April 29, 2005
We have already ordered 100 of which 70 have been despatched ( you may have read previous posts on this subject) and 30 are still in production. Due to the demand we have now placed an order for an additional50 toilets which we hope to produce and despatch to camps as soon as possible
Thursday, April 28, 2005
Although an assurance was given by the UDA that the land for constructing 100 houses at Thiraimadu was reserved for our Club we were later informed that the identified land had been given to another NGO.
As a result, we have had to fall back to our plan “B”, which is to construct houses on a privately owned land in a place called Kathankudy donated by a businessman of the area. This business man is well known to a member of our club, and he is donating this land for this recontruction project. Therefore there is no cost in acquiring this land.
Kathankudy is also in the Batticaloa district, but around 6km away from the main town. However, the big disappointment to our club is that we will now not be able to build houses for the Dutch Bar community as they do not wish to move such a distance from their original location.
The land survey done in Kathankudy has revealed that 72 houses could be constructed on that land. We will be able to give more details on this project in our next update.
Monday, April 18, 2005
1. Income & Expense Summary as at 31st March 2005
Total Donations received as at 31st March 2005 - Rs. 41,781,013.93
Total Expenses on Tsunami Relief - Rs. 6,868,651.04
1. Dry Rations Rs. 2,139,103.39
2. Medicine Rs. 812,440.40
3. Household Effects ( eg. Pillows, sheets, pots & pans) Rs. 2,230,139.50
4. Personal Effects ( eg. Underwear, baby bottles, sarongs etc) Rs. 786,967.75
5. Livelihood Projects ( eg. Outboat motors etc) Rs. 900,000.00
Tsunami Relief Fund Balance - Rs. 34,912,362.89
Note : The balance fund will be allocated between our 3 long term projects - Housing, School Rebuilding & Livelihoods. We will soon publish a table which will give a clear picture on how we propose to allocate the existing funds, along with our estimated shortfall for projects
2. Administration Income & Expenses
Administration & logistics related expenses have been recovered against interest income earned by placing the available funds in overnight government treasury bills ( securities)
Total Interest Income Earned as at 31st March 2005 - Rs. 364,284.16
Admin, Transport & Logistic Expenses - Rs. 101,751.00
Balance Available for Tsunami Project Admin Costs - Rs.262,533.16
3. Total Pledges Received ( 26th December ’04 to 4th April ‘05)
This estimate value has been calculated by tabulating pledges informed to the club via e mail or phone. This is by no means a conclusive figure, but merely a figurative indication of the support received to our club by concerned individuals, organizations & rotary clubs from around the world. Reasons why this figure does not match the donors list as at 31st March 2005 are;
- some donors are yet to transfer funds or are awaiting instructions from us ( example – matching grant projects)
- some donors may have transferred direct without informing us via e mail
- some donors have given an initial pledge but are currently evaluating our project proposals for specific projects.
- some donors have pledged one value but the received value is less ( mainly due to intermediary bank charges)
Monday, April 04, 2005