Sunday, January 02, 2005

How Rotarians and their children lend their hands

Today is day-7 after tsunami hit our little island nation.

The warmth of people from around the globe keep us comforted with the assurance that help is very close at hand.

I have always enjoyed being a Rotarian, but I never realized how wonderful it is to be a part of such a kind and generous group of friends who are willing do what it takes, even when it means that they have to put their own personal lives on hold. Tony Melia from UK is one such very considerate person who offered to travel across the globe to help us.

I was amazed by the offer of an 18 year old young lady from Durham who wanted to work with children. Given below is an extract of her mail to us.

There are many like them whose stories you’ll read on this site from time to time.

Tharanga Gunaratne.

===============================

Sat, 1 Jan 2005 09:27:13

Hi, My name is ............. I am eighteen years old and healthy. I have worked with children for 3 years, sometimes with special needs children, and would like to go to Sri Lanka to help.

My parents are members of The Rotary Club of Derwentside and I have discussed with them and they are willing to support me, we are willing to pay for my flight but I don't know how to go about finding an agency that would make use of my services. Can you make suggestions.

===========================================

Sat, 1 Jan 2005 20:51:21

Fellow Rotarians,
I am the past president of the Rotary club of Darwen United Kingdom. We are actively collecting funds for the relief operation
And perhaps could be of further assistance if required. I am a qualified plumber and electrical engineer and have skills in logistics and tele-Communications and am able to fly over and wherever required help. We do also have a number of others with similar skills. Please let us know your requirements?
Tony Melia.
Rotary Club of Darwen.

No comments: